Patrimony

old and modern patrimony

Briey preserves an old and modern patrimony which allows tourists to feel close to edifices dated from the 12th century ( Saint Gengoult Church ), from the 18th century ( Town Hall ) and the 20th century ( Cité Radieuse ).

  • The Saint Gengoult’s Church

    With a Romanesque origin, this church is dated from the beginning of the 12th century. A crypt, discovered in 1982, helps us understand the disposition of the edifice:

    the choir overcame the crypt and the entry of the old chapel was situated on the opposite side, where the Upper Town streets emerged.

    This church was probably the works of the Saint Pierremont Abbey, near Briey and may have been built between 1128 and 1158. The growth of the Briotine city, from the 12th to the 14th century, involved the extension of the chapel.
    As it was impossible to extend it towards the north and north-east because of the numerous ditches, the orientation of the edifice was changed and the portal was set in the west.
    Nowadays there only remains the third and fourth pillars on the right and on the left of the nave. With the requirements of the Gothic style, the pillars were raised and its capitals were replaced.

    In the 15th century, the edifice, mishandled by the Burgundians during the 1475 siege, revealed itself too small once again. The capacity of the church was increased thanks to the creation of a side aisle. The vaults were restored, the roofing was recast and the windows were widened.

    In the 16th century, embellishment works were contracted for the main frontage: a broad pediment was put down the big portal. The church tower, dated from the fourteenth century, suffered from the Thirty Years War, especially in 1635/1636 because it became an observation post for the Lorrains. We can notice its previous position thanks to a circular opening between the fourth pillars. The church tower was replaced by a classical bell tower in 1743 and situated at the south-western church corner.

    The church encloses very beautiful works: a calvary from Ligier Richier (16th century) with characters of human height and made of wood, a statue of the Blessed Virgin made out of polychrome wood (15th century) and another calvary from the 15th century.

  • The Belfry

    Built in 1722, it is living by the nightwatchman wearing old clothes and sounding the alarm.

  • Temple Street

    This street skirts the church and leads us to the Town Hall.
    Its name evokes the Templiers settling in the town in the 12th and 14th centuries: the Order Commandery was established in Pierrevillers in Moselle.
    Abreast of the church, the street widens out on to a square where we can overhang the Plan d’Eau. At number 13 we can see Miss de Jessaincourt’s house - this person was one of Louis Bertrand’s heroines. At the building corner, a path leads to the artificial lake.
    In the middle of the path we can discover a garden which used to enclose before a beautiful hut also called madness, that is why this path is called "madness lane".

  • The Town Hall

    Built in the 17th century and restored in 1785, it was the subprefecture from 1800 to 1820. The town might have adopted the armouries of its previous lords in 1766.
    A stone was carved by two royalists when they were prisoners in this place. Incarcerated because they "helped to conduct a group of tyrants in the city", they were executed in Paris in 1794.

    On the first floor of the edifice, classified historical building, is the great room of the Town Hall, with a beautiful wooden framework.

  • The Subprefecture

    Built on the site of the castle where we can see its walls from Downtown, the Subprefecture is distinguished by a perfect harmony inspired by the oldest part. A low door, a gift from the Saint Pierremont Abbey, is dated from 1568.

    For more information or for a guided tour, please contact:

    Briey Tourist Office 2 rue Winsbach 54 150 BRIEY
    Tel: +33(0)3.82.46.33.22

  • The Cité Radieuse

    Le Corbusier is one of the most famous architects of the 20th century. His reputation goes beyond the set of specialists because it also concerned the general public.

    The Cité Radieuse, third realisation in France after Nantes and Marseilles, is situated in the heart of a forest. It gives its visitors a feeling of freedom. The purpose of this kind of construction was to offer light and space.

    Built in 1960, the Cité Radieuse met serious difficulties (closing down, vandalism, project of demolition). Saved in the middle 1980's, the building is now totally rehabilitated. Inside this edifice, you can find a nursery school, a school of architecture whose purpose is to propose exhibitions and guided tours.

Voir aussi :

The Belfry
City Hall
Le Corbusier
Association La Première Rue
Unité d’Habitation Le Corbusier
54 150 BRIEY EN FORÊT
Tél: +33 (0)3.82.20.28.55